Saturday, January 21, 2012

decoupage gone wrong

Hello internet. It's been awhile since I've visited my sad excuse for a blog. Today I actually have something to blog about. My facebook status update is just not long enough to type out my excitement about Pinterest. I LOVE PINTEREST! I tend to post things that I like to think I'll make, cook, explore, or look at again in any way, but usually my imagination is greater than my ability to start or finish a project. Well not today. Not only did I start 3 (read it! 3!) projects, I even finished them! And that isn't even all I did today either!

So, let me start with the project that went well. I made my daughter leg warmers out of knee socks. That's right-I sewed. They were so easy; I'll just let the pictures below speak for themselves.




Socks
Leg warmers
Success!
















Project #1 done and beautiful. Project #2 and #3 were combined into one long WRONG WRONG WRONG. Let me begin by informing you that I have never used mod podge or decoupaged anything in my life (that I remember, anyway). Nothing. Not even an ornament for my mom. Honestly, it didn't look that hard. I came across a DIY decoupage on Pinterest that fancied itself to mod podge. Since mod podge is $10 at the store, and Elmer's glue is practically free, the "make your own" idea sounded perfect. I rinsed out a pizza sauce jar, added glue, added water, and presto-decoupage. I think. I had no idea what it was supposed to look like. It was white and liquidy so I figured I was golden. Next, I cut out little pictures of classic children's books and arranged them on my letters "R E A D" that I was planning on putting in my daughter's room. So, here is where my wonderful idea began to spoil. I printed the pics on regular paper, in colored ink. When I applied the top coat of my water/glue concoction, the ink spread like butter on toast. I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm still going to put them up-more out of pride than anything, but they sure are ugly.



Really, that's it?
This one isn't even that bad-you should see the "D"

before decoupage










Well that's it. My exciting Saturday night doing crafts.
Here is a link to the decoupage: http://doityourselfdivas.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-mod-podge.html 
Here is a link to the leg warmers:
http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2010/02/tutorial-10-minute-toddler-leg-warmers.html

4 comments:

  1. I HEART Pinterest too. I have been meaning to write a post about everything I have tried from Pinterest but just haven't. LOVE Juliet's leg warmers--so cute! (I don't think they'd look so cute on the boys!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought about making them for the boys but stopped thinking about it when I realized they couldn't wear them with anything!

      I try to comment on my pins when I have tried something just so I remember that I did it and how it worked out. It's so addicting.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Ahhh! I blog. And, I blog about pinterest projects gone good... eh or bad. lol {and, im not really that important} its more my scrapbook for my kids. they LOVE all the embarrassing stories i tell about them - or will one day at least}

      mod podge... tricky stuff. especially on ink. gotta move fast and in one clean sweet.

      cute stuff ;)

      Delete
    3. Nicole- that's why I wanted to start a blog. So I can keep track of juliet's life a little better than my aging memory.

      I meant to print on tissue paper and try color and black and white, but I forgot-until I saw the tissue paper. By then I was already done. Oh well-live and learn!

      Delete